Frequently visited sites can accumulate on your iPhone over time, cluttering your Safari browser and making it difficult to find the websites you visit most often. Deleting these frequently visited sites can help improve your browsing experience and maintain your privacy. In this blog post, we will explore different methods to permanently delete frequently visited sites on iPhone. By following these steps, you can regain control over your Safari browser and optimize your browsing experience.
The Challenge of Permanently Deleting Frequently Visited Sites on iPhone
While Safari does provide an option to clear your browsing history and website data, this method does not always guarantee the removal of frequently visited sites. They may reappear the next time you open a new tab or launch Safari. Therefore, finding effective methods to permanently delete frequently visited sites can be challenging. In the following sections, we will explore four different methods that can help you achieve this goal.
Method 1: How to Delete Frequently Visited Sites using Safari Settings
Before we delve into the steps, let’s first understand how this method works. By going into your Safari settings, you can manually remove frequently visited sites from the list. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do this:
1. Open the "Settings" app on your iPhone.
2. Scroll down and tap on "Safari."
3. Tap on "Clear History and Website Data."
4. Confirm your selection by tapping "Clear History and Data" again.
5. Open Safari and check if the frequently visited sites are removed.
1. Quick and easy method.
2. No additional tools or apps required.
1. It will also delete your entire browsing history and website data.
2. The frequently visited sites may reappear after some time.
Method 2: How to Permanently Delete Frequently Visited Sites using Private Browsing Mode
Private browsing mode is another option you can use to delete frequently visited sites. This method does not require clearing your entire browsing history and website data. Instead, it allows you to browse privately, preventing the websites you visit from being saved in your browsing history. Here’s how you can use private browsing mode to delete frequently visited sites:
1. Open Safari on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the tab icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.
3. Tap on the "+" icon to open a new private browsing tab.
4. Browse the web as usual in this private browsing tab.
5. Close the private browsing tab when you’re done.
6. Reopen Safari and check if the frequently visited sites have been removed.
1. You can delete frequently visited sites without clearing your entire browsing history.
2. It provides a more private browsing experience.
1. It only deletes the frequently visited sites from the current browsing session.
2. The frequently visited sites may reappear in future browsing sessions.
Method 3: How to Delete Frequently Visited Sites using Third-Party Safari Extensions
If the previous methods didn’t work or if you want a more comprehensive solution, you can consider using third-party Safari extensions. There are several extensions available that can help you manage and delete frequently visited sites on iPhone. Here’s how you can do it:
1. Open the App Store on your iPhone.
2. Search for Safari extensions that allow you to delete frequently visited sites.
3. Install the desired extension.
4. Open Safari and access the extension from the toolbar or Settings.
5. Follow the instructions provided by the extension to delete frequently visited sites.
1. Offers more flexibility and control over deleting frequently visited sites.
2. Can be tailored to your specific needs and preferences.
1. Requires installing a third-party app and granting it access to your Safari browser.
2. Some extensions may come with a price tag.
Method 4: How to Permanently Delete Frequently Visited Sites using Jailbreaking
Jailbreaking is an advanced method that allows you to access the underlying file system of your iPhone. By jailbreaking your device, you can gain more control and customization options. However, it’s important to note that jailbreaking can void your device warranty and may lead to security risks. If you decide to proceed with jailbreaking, here’s how you can delete frequently visited sites:
1. Research and follow a reliable jailbreaking guide for your iPhone model and iOS version.
2. Jailbreak your iPhone using the chosen method.
3. Install a file browser app from the App Store, such as Filza File Manager.
4. Navigate to the following directory: var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/Safari/Library/Safari
5. Delete the "TopSites.plist" file.
6. Reboot your iPhone.
1. Provides complete control over your device’s file system.
2. Allows for more advanced modifications.
1. Jailbreaking can void your device warranty.
2. It comes with potential security risks and instability.
Alternatives: What to Do If You Can’t Permanently Delete Frequently Visited Sites
If the above methods don’t work for you or if you prefer alternative solutions, here are three options to consider:
1. Use a Different Web Browser: Instead of relying on Safari, you can install and use alternative web browsers that offer more extensive customization options. Some popular options include Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge.
2. Reset Safari Settings: If you’re willing to clear all your Safari settings and start fresh, you can go to "Settings" > "Safari" > "Advanced" > "Website Data" > "Remove All Website Data." However, keep in mind that this will delete all your website data, including any saved login details.
3. Disable Frequently Visited Sites: While you may not be able to permanently delete frequently visited sites, you can disable this feature in Safari. Go to "Settings" > "Safari" > "Favorites" and remove the frequently visited sites from the list. This will prevent them from appearing as frequently visited sites, even if they are stored in your browsing history.
Here are three bonus tips to further optimize your browsing experience on iPhone:
1. Regularly Clear Your Safari History: Clearing your Safari history at regular intervals can help maintain a clutter-free browsing experience. Go to "Settings" > "Safari" > "Clear History and Website Data" to remove your browsing history.
2. Use Private Browsing Mode for Sensitive Activities: Whenever you engage in sensitive activities, such as online banking or making secure transactions, consider using private browsing mode. This ensures that your online activities are not recorded in your browsing history.
3. Install Content Blockers: Content blockers or ad blockers can improve your browsing speed and reduce distractions by blocking advertisements and unwanted content. You can find various content blocker apps on the App Store.
5 FAQs about Permanently Deleting Frequently Visited Sites on iPhone
Q1: Will deleting frequently visited sites also delete my browsing history?
A: Method 1, Method 2, and Method 3 mentioned in this article may delete your browsing history if you choose to clear it along with the frequently visited sites. However, you can use Method 2 (private browsing mode) or Method 3 (third-party extensions) to delete frequently visited sites without deleting your entire browsing history.
Q2: Can I permanently delete frequently visited sites without jailbreaking my iPhone?
A: Yes, you can delete frequently visited sites without jailbreaking your iPhone. The methods mentioned in this article, such as using Safari settings, private browsing mode, and third-party extensions, do not require jailbreaking.
Q3: Will jailbreaking my iPhone help me permanently delete frequently visited sites?
A: Jailbreaking your iPhone can provide more control over your device’s file system, allowing you to delete system files like the "TopSites.plist" mentioned in Method 4. However, jailbreaking comes with risks and is not recommended for inexperienced users.
Q4: Are there any risks associated with jailbreaking my iPhone?
A: Yes, jailbreaking your iPhone can void your device warranty, expose your device to security risks, and potentially lead to instability. It’s essential to thoroughly research and understand the risks before deciding to jailbreak your iPhone.
Q5: Can I disable the frequently visited sites feature in Safari?
A: Yes, you can disable the frequently visited sites feature in Safari. Go to "Settings" > "Safari" > "Favorites" and remove the frequently visited sites from the list. This will prevent them from appearing as frequently visited sites, even if they are stored in your browsing history.
Permanently deleting frequently visited sites on your iPhone can help declutter your Safari browser and enhance your browsing experience. In this blog post, we explored different methods, including using Safari settings, private browsing mode, third-party extensions, and jailbreaking. We also discussed alternative solutions and provided bonus tips to further optimize your browsing experience. Remember to choose the method that best suits your needs and preferences, taking into consideration the risks and limitations associated with each approach. By following these steps, you can regain control over your frequently visited sites and enjoy a cleaner and more organized browsing experience on your iPhone.